1973 Rehabilitation Act Section 504
Office of Civil Right (OCR) belongs to United States Department of Heath & Human Services (DHHS) takes responsibility for accomplishing requirements of undiscriminated treatment of 1973 Rehabilitation Act Section 504.
What prohibited clauses according to 1973 Rehabilitation Act Section 504?
The section 504 prohibits association having health & human services discriminating with disabled people. The clauses include providing benefits and air service to carry out activities or programs based on their disability level.
Moreover. section 504 applies for programs or activities received finance support of Federal.
Who will receive protection of Section 504?
Section 504 protects disabled people have enough standards. A disabled person is a person who is lack of physical or spirital health in one or more daiy activities. Besides, he or she must have profile about that shortcomings or considered as shortcomings. Main life activities mean that fuctions such as self-caring, accomplishing manual labors, walking, looking, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning and working. In accordance with section 504, a disabled person coming up to the standard if he or she satisfies essential requirements for receiving services or benefits. Or else, take part in programs or activities of association in this field.
Besides, particular situations are whether disabled or not according to section 504 will be ascertained in each situtation.
What are physical and spiritual shortcomings?
Physical and spiritual shortcomings include: optic shortcomings, listening and speaking shortcomings, slow development of mental. Moreover, this field also has emotional diseases, particular shortcomings in learning, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, myasthenica, atheroma skin, hear disease, cancer, orthopedic disease, diabetes, tuberculosis, HIV.
Associations belong to human fields must not:
- Establish criteria have enough conditions to receive service or participate programs or activities eliminating or tend to elimiate disabled people. Otherwise, those standards are essential to achive the goals of programs.
- Provide benefits, services and special programs or activities for disabled people. Otherwise, this thing is necessary to ensure those programs and activities have eual effects.
Associations belong to human fields have to:
- Provide services and programs within corporating enviroment are suitable with demands of disabled people having enough criteria.
- Besides, accomplish adjustment suitably within policies and procedures to avoid discriminating based on disability level. Otherwise, this thing leads to a primary modification within their programs or activities.
- Moreover, assure those modifications can be approached.
- Eventually, provide supports for disabled people, free additional fee in important situations for assuring effectuve communications with deaves, the blind.
Anyone reckon that they or a partiular person or a group of people suffered from discrimination based on disability level within programs or activities related to health or human services organized by associations belong to this field, can file a complaint for OCR.
People need to fulfil following information in a complaint or require a pattern complaint from regional offices or head of OCR:
- Name, address, phone number
- Name and address of workplace you reckon that has discriminated behaviors
- Methods, reasons and times you reckon that you suffer discrimination
- All related information.
File your complaint to Regional Management at suitable Regional Office OCR or following address:
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Office for Civil Rights
200 Independence Avenue, SW – Room 506-F
Washington, D.C. 20201
Therefore, your complaint will be controlled and answered punctually.